Jalan Sungei Besi
57100 Kuala Lumpur
|| 958 3888
|| 958 5755
Richard Term Boon Keng
History of the Selangor Turf
Club (SLTC) at a canter:
- Early 1890s: The
British Resident, Sir William Maxwell, started amateur racing in
- 1896: SLTC was
established. Sir Frank Swettenham, the new British Resident, was its
first President. Membership stood at a grand 110.
- March 1896: SLTC
hosted its first race meeting. Seven races each day for two days, not
necessarily weekends. The A$1,000 Miner's Purse was the feature race.
It has a field of two.
- 1906: Membership
grew to 300.
- 1939: SLTC
introduced The Selangor Gold Cup, forerunner of the Tunku Gold Cup.
The Chairman reported a profit of $30,400.
- 1952: Raceday
attendance exceeded an average of 14,000. Turnover exceeded $70
- 1954: Radio
broadcasts of race proceedings began.
- 1956: A $1million
grandstand replaced the 'dear old attap shed'. Attap is the Malay
word for palm frond.
- 1957: The 'Great
Floods' prevented visiting horses from reach by Club by land. Ferries
were used to bring them in.
- 1959: SLTC hosted
the inaugural The Yang DiPertuan Agong Gold Cup (now re-named the
Selangor Gold Cup).
- 1960: Sunday racing
replaced Wednesday races.
- 1961: Punting at
the SLTC and the other turf clubs in the MRA circuit was formalised
and regulated by the Racing Act.
- 1962: A fire bnroke
out at the Griffin Inn located in the Club. No one was injured. Some
horses broke loose and were only rounded up the following day.
- 1968: The Selangor
Gold Cup was renamed the Tunku Gold Cup in honour of Tunku Andul
Rahman Putra Al-Haj, the country's first prime minister.
- 1976: SLTC's
totalisator was conputerised.
- 1980: The Piala
Emas Sultan Selangor (Sultan Of Selangor Gold Cup) was introduced to
commemorate the birthday of His Royal Highness The Sultan Of Selangor.
This Class 1, 1,600-metre race pioneered the 'weight-for-age' system
- 1981: A new
computerised sell-pay system was launched.
- 1982: Computerised
telephone betting was launched, replacing the manual system.
- 1983: Closed
circuit television coverage began, linking all the turf clubs in the
- 1985: SLTC opened
its Sungei Besi Off-Course Centre.
- 1987: The
installation of a central computer system linked SLTC to the Penang
and Perak turf clubs.
- 1988: The Club
bought 255 acres of disused mining land in Sungei Besi for its
- October 1989: SLTC
hosted the Queen Elizabeth II Commonwealth Cup to commemorate the
visit of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to Malaysia and the Club.
- June 1980: Work
began on the Club's new premises - The SLTC Equestrian and Sports
Centre, Sungei Besi.
- November 1991:
Laying of tracks began.
- August 1992: The
last race was run at the Jalan Ampang racecourse.
- October 1993: The
first race was run at the SLTC Equestrain and Sports Centre. The
winner was Spark Plug.
- April 3, 1994: The
official opening of the SLTC Equestrian and Sports Centre.